Volunteering can help not for profit organizations bring positive cultural and social changes to a community, help others, and provide skills to the volunteers themselves.
There are a number of volunteer positions available at the Montgomery LGBT Business Council that can use your current skills and help you build new ones. Please see the list of volunteer opportunities available below and select and apply for the volunteer position that fits you best!
The Montgomery County LGBT Business Council is searching for a technology volunteer to assist with ongoing web design and technology development functions. If you are new to the IT field and would like to obtain experience, this is a great place to get started.
Primary Functions for the Technology Volunteer
- Design and implement changes as directed by the Montgomery County LGBT Business Council
- Work with the marketing committee to develop marketing and fundraising campaigns
- Identify and resolve bugs, grammatical errors, or other issues related to the Montgomery County LGBT Council website
- Familiarity with WordPress is very helpful
- Recommend solutions to functionality issues or requests made by the organization
- Work with enterprise based web platforms such as Google, Web Host Services, Domain Name Services
- Custom programming using HTML5 and later
Position Goal: To increase awareness and visibility of the Montgomery County LGBT Business Council.
Time Commitment: 3 hours per tabling event unless otherwise stated.
Position Outcome: Increase membership and volunteer participation through educating the public.
- Council Ambassadors may represent the Council at promotional events, and must be able to speak about the Council’s mission, membership enrollment, and benefits that different types of members will receive once enrolled. Training will be provided
- Council members are responsible for set up and take down of promotional equipment for the event they’ve sign up for unless specified otherwise.
- Volunteer will speak with the community about and assist in helping them sign up as a volunteer or member of the Council.
- Council Ambassadors may be required to lift and be accountable for promotional equipment including by not limited to folding tables, pop-up tents, membership paperwork, and printed promotional materials.
- All promotional equipment needs to be returned to a member of the Council Board / Volunteer Committee in a timely manner.
- Council Ambassadors must read, understand, and agree to the Council’s Volunteer Booklet.
- If a member of the public requests information at an event that a Council Ambassador is unable to answer for any reason, the Ambassador will refer the individual to a member of the board.
- If the Council Ambassador is unable to make it to an event that they had previously signed up for, the Volunteer Committee must be notified at least five days in advance.
- Must report to Volunteer Coordinator after each tabling event.
- Must be 18 or older.
- Must be LGBTQ+ or ally identifying.
- Must demonstrate thorough understanding of the Council.
- Must attend training with Volunteer Coordinator.
In-person training will be provided by Volunteer Coordinator prior to volunteering. At least one shadowing opportunity will also be provided.
Volunteers gain complimentary entry to all Council events including the Gala, business card exchanges, and cultural competency trainings.
- Event volunteers will be assigned as needed at events sponsored by the Council. This includes but is not limited to
- event setup / decoration
- manning various tables
- helping with check in
- directing guests
- selling raffle tickets
- event take down
- lifting promotional equipment
- Event volunteers may represent the Council at promotional events, and must be able to speak about the Council’s mission.
- Event volunteers must read, understand, and agree to the Council’s Volunteer Booklet.
- If a member of the public requests information at an event that an event volunteer is unable to answer for any reason, they will refer the individual to a member of the board.
- If the Council volunteer is unable to make it to an event that they had previously signed up for, the Volunteer Committee must be notified at least five days in advance.
The Montgomery County LGBT Business Council (The Council) Board Member serves up to a three year term, strategically guiding The Council’s mission through policy development, oversight, participating as a donor to The Council, and always acts as an ambassador for The Council and the interest of our community. The Council recognizes and relies on the many contributions Board Members bring to the organization, including skills, expertise, time, connections, relationships, ideas, perspective, and more.